RE: [dvd-discuss] Blizzard / Battlenet FAQ

It allows LAN play over IP -- IPX is officially supported by their
product, IP isn't (unless they updated something and I don't know
about it). If people are allowed to have multiple people play on a
LAN with only one purchased copy of the software, why not let them
play on a LAN that doesn't pass IPX? It seems that this meets the
substantial non-infringing use requirement. Blizzard lacked the
forethought to include this feature in their product, even though
at the time StarCraft was released, nobody was using IPX on their
network unless they were maintaining a legacy NetWare server. While
this may be fine for a user with total control over their network,
a college student could have difficulty playing with a friend in
the next room over. (My friends and I would routinely take over a
cluster on a friday night so that we could play without hitting
routing/switching problems that prevented us from just playing from
our rooms).

-Charlie