Re: [dvd-discuss] Hearing on "Sovereign Immunity and the Protection of Intellectual Property"

On Saturday, February 16, 2002, at 02:26  AM, Larry Blunk wrote:

>   The US Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing titled
> "Sovereign Immunity and the Protection of Intellectual Property" for
> Feb 27 at 10:00AM.  Further details can be found at
> http://judiciary.senate.gov/beta/hearing.cfm?id=169
> Although it's not entirely clear what will be discussed at this
> hearing, I suspect the DeCSS and Elcomsoft cases will likely
> be brought up.

IIRC, sovereign immunity can also apply to states. If a state wanted to
be very nice to it's University employees, educational use could be
immune from copyright lawsuits..., as a state can only be sued in it's
own courts, etc.