Re: [dvd-discuss] Fwd: Australian Court rules: Films aren't software

Yeah...but half the problem is recognizing it IS a tarpit. Remember that
those poor creatures that got trapped in the LaBrea tarpits thought they
were at a watering hole.  After the first few got sucked into the mire,
they  probably had safe lines where they thought they could stand and not
get sucked down. Whole parts of the legal community are attempting to put
a "functional" dividing line between technology that the practitioners of
it cannot.  In a situation such as that NO line is best rather than an
arbitrary one that leads to arbitrary enforcement or just sucks everybody
down into the mire.

The problem is not if films should be software, films should be data, data
should be software, software should be data for the purposes of copyright.
The problem, not being addressed by the courts,  is that despite all the
attention paid to copyright law in the last 25yrs, it's really gotten even
less clear what is copyright and what is fair use.

Copyright Object Type 1. One copy allowed for personal use. Cannot be
rented but leased forever.
Copyright Object Type 2. Copies cannot be made. Can be rented.
Copyright Object Type 3. Many copies can be made for personal use. Cannot
be rented.
Copyright Object Type 4. No copies can be made. Cannot be rented.

"Robert S. Thau" <rst@ai.mit.edu>
02/08/02 12:11 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss