RE: [dvd-discuss] An interesting case from 9th Circuit Appeals co urt

Harry,

You've put this VERY well

"Sure, except copyright law is insane in this matter - there
is no requirement of notice, registration, etc. etc. to
determine whether content is even copyrighted or not. At
least with tresspass, you have to post notices telling folks
the property is private and not to tresspass. Imagine that
restaurant owner charging all those non-customers checking
out the fish with tresspass. Now imagine a court agreeing
that they'd tresspassed and assessing fines!! That's what
we've got in this case."

It's exactly the whole problem with copyright AND its enforcement today.
Copyright is about the only right one can have where one has it whether or
not they exercise it, use it, or even know about it. It's the only right
where nobody can figure out if you have it without a dedicated search for
a death certificate. ANd it's one that you hold long after your death. And
if you DON"T want to copyright something, it's practically impossible do
so. Instead of requireing positive action to get a copyright you get one
by doing NOTHING. Worse, they retroactively restored copyright to people
who did. An absolute MESS has been made of what was a simple system (affix
notice(c) YEAR and YEAR+NN years later it's over.)

"Harold Eaton" <haceaton@hotmail.com>
02/08/02 02:17 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss