Re: [dvd-discuss] Fwd: Australian Court rules: Films aren't software

Good points. Digital data can be viewed as a set of configuration
instructions for the computer (pixel 1 = black, pixel 1 = black...etc.) or
as configuration information for a state machine. I think the court didn't
want to deal with the other baggage associated with their definition of
software.

The problem I've always had with the argument that the temporary copy in
RAM or disk constitutes a LEGAL copy subject to copyright is that the
media content providers have the means and money to hire engineers to
explain HOW the technology they want to use works (e.g., DVD, CDs etc).
They have lawyers galore. Now having released all this stuff then claim
copyright infringment because of a process INHERENT in the technology. If
ignorance of the law is no excuse, then certainly ignorance of the
technology when you have the means to understand it and an obligation to
do so should also. This is a case where the estoppel should apply.

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
02/07/02 11:49 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss