[dvd-discuss]Possible DRM Mischief

The Amer. Stat. Assoc. now sells 41yrs of Technometrics on 4 CDROMS. I got
mine last week. When I tried opening a PDF file using acrobat (5.0.3), I
got an error message "THere was an error opening this document. Afile read
error has occured". After running the installation program (and telling it
I DON"T want it to install acrobat reader 4.0). I can open the PDF files.
Anybody have an idea what they've done? Clearly the installation program
put SOMETHING somewhere that tells the reader that the files are OK to
read. Does anybody know the mechanism?