Re: [dvd-discuss] dmca international?

I guess the question is that while COPYRIGHT applies to works, the DMCA is
not a law regarding copyrights but "protecting" access and prohibiting
tools that "circumvent" access schemes. Confusing the medium (e.g., DVD)
with the copyrighted material (the film) is the problem with the DMCA and
its interpretation by the courts. In that sense, the the DMCA provisions
on the medium are not applicable to the agreements two countries may make
on the material and do not apply inside another country perse unless they
define some receprocity agreement with another nation specifically on the
DVD. IANAL.

Tom <tom@lemuria.org>
01/16/02 05:29 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss