Re: [dvd-discuss] [openlaw] Governmenttakesmoreextremelineinsecond"Eldred" case

Babelfish translation (I think I'd be better off with my German dictionary
and memories of Frau Schmidt's classroom)

D-CInventor Philips criticizes copy protection

                          10.01.2002   13:18:01
                          **time-out** in the discussion around the copy
                          protection for music DS have itself now with
Philips
                          the inventor the silberscheiben to word
announce. The
                          enterprise sees no future for the protection and
sees
                          therein a break of the audio format.

                          In   an interview with the " Financial Times
Germany
                          " said Philips speaker Klaus Petri: " those are
                          silberscheiben with music drauf, which DS
resemble,
                          but none are. " Petri expressed thereby openly
about
                          what tecCHANNEL already before two years
                          reported: Copy-protected music DS break the
format
                            CD-DA and might not thereby the Logo actually
any
                          longer carry. This covers itself also with   the
legal
                          concept of law of communication media-learns.

                                             Stone of the impact: Also
HiFi
                                          devices, here Sonys MXD-D3,
                                          have problems with the copy
                                          protection.

                          As owners of most patents for CD-DA the
Philips's
                          does not want to proceed according to report
however
                          against the protection procedures. Accumulated
                          themselves up the complaints of consumers, which
                          could not play the DS in HiFi devices. Since
however
                          in 2002 and 2003 the Philips patents run out
after 20
                          years, a law case is no longer be worth worth,
meant
                          Klaus Petri.

                          He hopes for the fact that the consumers would
boycott
                          the protected disks. This has in Great Britain
to it that
                          the copy protection is not " topic " more,
continued to
                          mean led already the Philips speaker.

                          Quite alone the Philips's could not pound anyway
on
                          the adherence to standards. Sony nevertheless
regards
                          an important proportion of the patents as CD-DA.
                          this company belong however with Sony Music one
of
                          the largest disk companies and with Sony DADC
one
                          the largest D-CPresswerke ONE in Europe - and
there
                          increases disks with the protection keyĆ udio
                          manufactured.

                          As pure hardware manufacturers goes Philips's
                          another way Klaus Petri indicated in the
discussion as
                          tecChannel.de that one wants to detect new copy
                          protection procedures in the future by software
                          updates for the HiFi D recorders of the
enterprise. The
                          devices should be able to create then also
digital
                          copies of the protected DS. For example with
                          keyĆ udio as in the above picture set copy bit
after
                          SCMS wants to respect Philips thereby however
                          further. In addition, with such disks with the
Philips
                          Duplizierern a similar copy is possible.

                          About the first failed introduction of a copy
protection
                          this report   informs . You find the current
status of
                          the protection procedures in this   contribution
. And
                          which standards a CD-DA would have to actually
                          keep, is this   basic article to infer (never)

Ole Craig <olc@cs.umass.edu>
01/11/02 02:05 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss