Re: [dvd-discuss] Photocopying machine parts...

At 12:44 PM -0800 1/4/02, Michael A Rolenz wrote:
>How about supercomputers? I read that the Prez. is allowing them to be
>exported now to the 36 countries that the last administration banned to
>prevent proliferation....of course...no other country would ever ever ever
>think to use one to do encryption research would they?

They've been trying to control the export of superconductors since
long before the Clinton administration. The problem is that computers
keep getting more powerful at an incredible rate. Pretty much our
entire nuclear arsenal was designed using computers FAR less powerful
than the cheapest desktop PC you can buy today.

Any old PC will do fine for making codes. As for code breaking, there
has been a lot of work in distributing cryptographic computation over
many independent processors. A few thousand desk top PCs doing word
processing at a ministry by day can be a powerful code breaking
machine by night.  The real pro will probably want a large supply
(perhaps millions) of programmable logic array chips (FPFAs). I
believe these are still subject to export controls.

Arnold Reinhold