Re: [dvd-discuss] Draft of upcoming article

Jolley writes:

> How do you define "copyright infringement"?  I just read an article in
> "Information Outlook" (a Special Library Association magazine) that
> seems to define copyright infringement as reproducing a copyrighted work
> by someone other than the copyright owner.  This includes reproductions
> that are fair use.  The article didn't associate copyright infringement
> as an illegal activity.  It could be legal.

If you look at the "Limitations on exclusive rights" in 17 USC, they
say that lots of things are not infringements (even when they are
reproductions or performances by someone other than a copyright holder,
acting without permission).  For example, 17 USC 107:

   Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use
   of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or
   phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for
   purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching
   (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or
   research, is not an infringement of copyright.

It goes on like that:

   notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an
   infringement of copyright ... [17 USC 108]

   Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, the following are
   not infringements of copyright ... [17 USC 110]

   is not an infringement of copyright ... [17 USC 111]

   it is not an infringement of copyright ... [17 USC 112]

   Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an
   infringement ... [17 USC 117]

   Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an
   infringement of copyright ... [17 USC 121]

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull