Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: The Grounds for Appeal

On Sunday 02 December 2001 19:55, you wrote:
> You may be close to the mark. I haven't finished the opinion either
> but one thing I noted was that they start off by discussing the fact
> that the governemnt must have a compelling interest yet don't state
> what that was. Maybe it's so obvious that it doesn't need to be but
> maybe they should tell us what that is for those of us intellectually
> challanged <sarcasm>. In the sort of formal argumentation these
> people perform, it should be stated for completeness least the
> reader substitute their own but it also invalidates all the subsequent
> argument - what's the point of continuing if the fundamental
> requriments aren't met.

Alternately, one could take the decision on face value and conclude
that protecting the revenue stream of entertainment companies *is*
a compelling State interest, and apply that same reasoning in other
contexts where such an interest trumps lesser concerns.

A good starting point would be contract law, since (IIRC) compelling
State interests are in and of themselves heavy-duty public policy,
and public policy trumps private contractual arrangements.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+