Re: [dvd-discuss] MovieMask - I'm sure the lawsuit is on its way

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:10:37AM +0000, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> The thing that (at the time) seemed to stop LiViD (or OMS) just going ahead
> and implementing it all was that the format of the IFO files was not yet fully
> reverse-engineered. John Zulauf wasn't sure if that was really a problem,
> but the thread died off at that point with no-one saying for sure whether
> it could be done at that time.

I've been fiddling with this for some time on and off. It's perfectly
possible to replace an existing subtitle track with something comepletely
different. Adding a subtitle track to a DVD that doesn't already have one
seems more difficult with what information I've been able to obtain on the
IFO format. I should really get round to finishing this stuff some time...

Btw would anyone here be capable of writing a windows program that presented
a "fake" DVD drive to applications, whose data would be supplied by the
program? That's the major compnent I'm missing.

--
http://sites.inka.de/risctaker/DeCSS/

"DVDCCA's statutory right to protect its economically valuable trade secret
is not an interest that is 'more fundamental' than the First Amendment right
to freedom of speech [...] Accordingly, we are compelled to reverse the
preliminary injunction." (California Appeals Court)