RE: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Ballowe, Charles wrote:

>Agreed -- but if a company (Disney?) still wishes to hold rights to
>something, wouldn't letting them do so and requiring a fee based on
>sales be potentially useful, particularly if that fee went directly

But then we get back to the real problem: AA Milne's daughter-in-law (Mrs.
Christopher Robin--CR's dead) is recieving nothing from the
soon-to-be-rereleased Winnie the Pooh.  AA Milne signed away all rights
many years ago, so what possible promotion of progress is being served
when the author's family recieves nothing from a multi-million-dollar
franchise?  Any sliding scale of copyright renewal MUST take into account
that holders of copyrights are not necessarily authors, so a renewal of a
copyright should not happen at all if the author is not recieving any
portion of royalties.

--

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the