Re: [dvd-discuss] Must Copyright terms be uniform?

I think the best argument for uniformity is the difficulty of
defining categories. It might be clear now what constitutes a chip
mask vs. a full length feature movie, but it might not be so clear in
15 years.

I think one could get the same effect by requiring affirmative action
to renew a copyright, like we had 50 years ago. I would have been
more comfortable with all the copyright duration extensions if there
was a substantial fee (say $100/yr) required to extend a term. Highly
valuable copyrights (Mickey Mouse, Gone With the Wind, etc.) would
see their terms lengthened, but the vast majority of material would
enter the public domain much sooner.

It's hard to undo what has been done in terms of copyright duration
(unless the Eldred case wins). Present copyright holders might claim
a retroactive reduction in term constitutes an illegal taking and
demand compensation from the government. But one way to reduce the
damage might be an opt-out compulsory licensing scheme.  The opt out
would require a periodic fee.  There would be a standard set of
licensing terms for works that do not opt out.

I'd also like to see a mechanism for donating woks to the public
domain, perhaps reserving rights for high value use, such as a movie
adaptation. The net present value of the copyright might then be
deductible.

Arnold Reinhold