RE: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal

While the exact expression of the idea might be copyright, but
copyright doesn't apply to the idea itself. If they published a
document containing the CSS algorithm to the general public,
redistribution of that document would be prevented, but a person
could repackage the concepts and present a new document.

The only way to protect the idea is to patent it, but then they
lose control after 20 years. Instead of protecting it, they
tried to hide it and somebody found it. oops...