[dvd-discuss] Interesting 1st sale-shrinkwrap-EULA-(c) infringement case

> Wow. Two great pieces of news in one day!! This may
> be an EVEN more important decision (if it is upheld,
> then the DVDCCA case would also be gone).

I'm amazed too.  It's as if the smoke and mirrors
have at least temporarily disappeared, and the
appeals courts are suddenly delivering rational,
down-to-earth copyright decisions on software for
the first time in a long time.

Also, for those who are interested, the next move
was made in the Eldred v. Ashcroft case on Oct 11th --
the plaintiffs have petitioned the Supreme Court to
hear arguments on, among other things, the
constitutionality of retroactive copyright extension.
Hopefully the Supreme Court will see fit to join the
current wave of unexpected rationality, take on that
case, and throw out the horrendous mess that the lower
courts made of it.  The petition can be found at:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/eldredvreno/

- John