Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedankenexperiment

Stephen L Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 26, "D. C. Sessions" wrote:

> My own personal opinion is that MP3.com would have has a better chance, if
> they mad their users' upload their own MP3's. And using their application
> secure to ensure that user only has access to their MP3's.

or had the been less glib about their service.  A scheme that "improves
upload times by comparing uploaded files against known data templates
with probablistic mappings" and "accelerates compression by comparison
with cached signal patterns" sounds better than -- "checked the CD ID
and the song title and allowed access to an MP3 we serve"  Effectively
by doing several separate checksums and comparing them one can claim
that to within some probability (especially in light of a common CD id)
the "upload block" and the "template block" are the same and substitute
id of the "template block" for the "upload block" in the upload stream.
Further this "probablistic pattern matching" of "cached signal patterns"
to find the correct "compression cache" sounds better than ... "we had
the CD on file and copied the MP3."

Finally, "disk storage compression" could be achieved by "storing
redundant data" in "common disk sector" sounds far better than "we let
users with the same songs share the same files".

Hmmm, smells like the fuzzy language of the software patent... if it
fools them how could the courts cut through the obfuscation?

.002