Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: [DMCA_discuss] Linux kernel securityfixescensored by the DMCA

Tom wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 04:45:41PM -0600, John Zulauf wrote:
> > This of course brings me back to my initial worry.... just how are we
> > supposed to get our jobs done without legal liability and risk of felony
> > charges.
>
> Very simple: Don't piss off the media mafia - the DMCA is a selective
> law. It will be used against carefully selected targets. That means
> against anyone its "sponsors" consider dangerous, but definitely never
> against one of them.

IANAL -- however, I thought that laws could not legitimately being
prosecuted in this way -- and that failure to prosecute a law
consistantly across various group would consistute an "equal protection"
violation.  Clearly I cannot use a curfew only against members of a
particular race or creed.  Also the opporutinities for graft and
corruption (only prosecute "speak-easy's" that don't pay) is incredible.

Can a law be challenged in that it is so overly broad it can be used to
arbitrarily attack unfavored speakers or actors?

.002