Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

> Why lean on legislative measures when this seems to be almost ideal
> for a technical solution? I'm making the unwarranted assumption that
> we can limit ourselves to 'always on' connections like DSL because in
> the long run that is likely to be the sort of service people will
> have. In that case you can set up your own domain name and mail
> server.

well /I/ personally can, but unfortunatly, DSL and similar services have
been degenerating into two classes:
a.) Hyper expensive "Business DSL" (with the normal features and higher
bandwidth) real Etherlink with several Static IPs.
b.) Cheaper but very crappy "home DSL" with usually one IP, usually
dynamic, sometimes PPPoE.  In some cases, even actively filtered to
prevent servers.

Note that I am very much against this segmentation of the market.  It
seems that free market doesn't work here because carriers will just
dictate what they supply and you have to choose or not choose (reminds me
of the post recently about software contracts).  There is still some
choice available some places, but since everyone but covad's dead...

 -- noah silva