[dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

> Now wait a moment ... I agree that spammers
> have the right to free speech in public
> places, but you have to remember that my
> mailbox is private space, not public space.

DA:  If you really wanted to keep your electronic
mailbox a "private place", you would switch
your email service to one with server-based mail
filtering. Then, you could manually type in the
email address of everyone whom you wished to
receive mail from, and you would never be
bothered by spam again.  Unlike your physical
mailbox, electronic mail delivery agents are
perfectly capable of bouncing email based on
the sender.

If you use an email system that accepts
messages from strangers, then you have
no one to blame but yourself if you receive
unwanted email.

Personally, I consider advertising spam to be
commercial speech, and should be subject to the
corresponding lesser first amendment protection.

- John