Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

--- Jeme A Brelin <jeme@brelin.net> wrote:

> > The big budget issue I just don't care about. Good for them. They get
> > it by creating value and trading it to willing trading parterns. That
> > isn't power, that is success.
>
> Um, success isn't its own meter.  You don't get "success points".

Economic success points are measured in dollars. You create value and you
trade, measuring the result in dollars.

> Success is measured by power accumulated and that power is wielded through
> wealth.

Power is weilded by the executive branch of government kicking your door down
and dragging your ass off. Wealth is useless without a government that respects
property rights. Ask people who had their wealth stored in the Bank of Panama.

> And in a world where all property is private (or effectively private
> through use restrictions) and with very few limitations on how one can
> wield economic power, the ability to destroy life and liberty with
> economic power is as great as with governmental power.

Trade always makes both parties better off than they were (which is why they
both voluntarily agree to engage in it). It is therefore impossible to wield
"economic power" (whatever that is) to "destroy life and liberty".