RE: Re[2]: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Richard Hartman wrote:

> If all it took to get on the list was a single complaint of a
> single spammer and the whole ISP got blackholed ... well, that
> would not be kosher.

People have been added in after a single complaint, web hosters have been
added in for NOT being discrimanatory for what software their clients
may sell through the website.

> But somebody posted a few msgs ago the process used for one of
> the RBL lists, and it seemed to be quite a lengthy process and
> gave the ISP ample opportunity to correct the problem themselves
> before consigning them to the black hole.  If they have an open
> mail server, they can secure it.  If they have customer(s) abusing
> the service, they can deal with them.
>
> As long as due process is strictly observed, the final outcome is
> completely acceptable.

Its not.

Remember, MAPS is a secret; the blacklist is secret, the deliberations
they use when adding to the blacklist are secret. I don't call this due
process.

Scott