Re: Re[2]: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Bryan Taylor wrote:
> --- Jeme A Brelin <jeme@brelin.net> wrote:
> > But a prescriptive solution does not exist that does not cause the
> > undue restriction of legally protected speech.
>
> You never explained the right to speech which allows you to send email
> transforms itself into the right to have the attention of the
> recipient against his will.

I didn't say that.  I said that YOU shouldn't be able to block SOMEONE
ELSE'S mail.  They can do whatever they like with it.

> Does Tom Brokaw's mailroom, which filters his postal mail, violate my
> right to send him a letter? I don't think so.

Ah!  Now HERE is a straightforward analogy.

Tom Brokaw has people who sort his mail.  And they do so and I'm sure he's
very happy for the service.

BUT if Tom Brokaw decided tomorrow that he didn't want his mail sorted, it
would be A FELONY to intentionally toss even the most obvious junk mail
without his permission.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin