Re: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 12:03:47PM -0700, Bryan Taylor wrote:
> Well, I strongly object to that. If that is really what the EFF is saying, then
> shame on them for not being clear. There is a HUGE difference between
> government action and private action.

being?

there was a time where the government was huge and had resources and
power inaccessable to private parties. the US was founded at the end of
that time, and largely embodies the principles for such an era.

however, today we live in a world where privately hold corporations
have anual budgets that exceed the national budget of all but the
wealthy western nation states. not to mention that they have started to
draft their own laws - by proxy, for the moment.

a major corporation or an organized group of such has more power than
the small, limited government that your founding fathers envisioned.
however, it shares none of the accountability and does not even go to
the trouble to make a show of some inconsequential "election" thing.

governments aren't the only abusers of power who need to be kept in
check.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org