RE: Re[2]: [dvd-discuss] EFF opposes blacklisting spammers

Moreover, spamming is not an excercise of free-speech.  It is an
attempt at free advertising.  Basically, they are getting something
for nothing.  They are (generally) trying to sell something, and
not have to pay to advertise it.

The advertisers pay nothing to send thounsands of mails out.  (Except
perhaps in the cases where they are stupid enough to hire one of the
spamming services to send the mail for them.)  The freight is being
paid by the internet subscribers in lost bandwidth, lost time wading
through the @*@#!@ in their inbox, and actual monetary costs for
transmission & storage.

Spam is not a free speech issue, it is a free lunch issue.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!