RE: [dvd-discuss] Hang the RIAA in their own noose.

> > There's a big different though.  The paper is "free" financially, but
> > probably not copyright wise.  I would be willing to bet they put up
> > copyright notices on the paper.
> >
> > Your post, published on a mailing list, likely isn't considered
> > protected.  By definition, when you post something to the public without
> > attaching a copyright notice, you lose protection.  You know the list is
> > available to the public through the web archives.  I would say google
> > Groups has no problem archiving millions of usenet conversations for this
> > very reason.
>
> Unfortunately, in order to comply with the Berne Convention, it is no
> longer required to make any claim of copyright in order to be protected by
> copyright.
>
> Just another way we've hung ourselves.

Yes, but how does that realistically apply?  Let's say I own the
copyright because I wrote it, and I'm protected by default.  Still if I
post something that I know if going to a public forum, I am implicitly
giving permission (under my copyright control) for that item to be
published.  The difference is subtle (no protection rights vs
having and waiving them.)

 -- noah silva