Re: [dvd-discuss] Fwd: Bush taps Clarke as CyberdefenseChief

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 01:47:52PM -0500, John Schulien wrote:
> Everyone is so creative about windows worm
> payloads ... modifying bank accounts, posting
> fake stories.  There's a much less farfetched
> scenario ...

[...nation-wide hard-disk wiping...]

> THAT is the magnitude of the danger of the
> continuing revolving door of Microsoft ISS
> and Outlook bugs.  Agreed.  We ain't seen
> nothing yet.

it all depends on what you want to accomplish. random carnage and
destruction or a more specific goal. a targeted worm (say, spreading
like crazy but only killing the machines of a specific company) could
make its maker (and anyone who reverse-engineers it and uses instead of
publishing the results) millions at the exchange.