Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, steve bryan wrote:

> At 10:23 am -0400 10/1/01, Noah silva wrote:
> >Because it isn't easy to make a perfect digital copy of an MD (you either
> >need a pro MD deck, or a modified MD-data drive with custom software),
> >they can be sure that lots of people will rent the CD, instead of renting
> >it and passing an mp3 around.  Why do you think they go to such lengths to
> >make sure stuff like the sony Memory Stick walkman won't let you copy
> >songs back onto the PC?
>
> I was going to bring up this caveat but I don't believe it is
> currently accurate. I haven't checked details but Sony has definitely
> taken steps to pry ATRAC loose from the MD format. There are now
> software players available that will encode and decode ATRAC 3 format.

Yes, and I even have an unofficial Windows MCI codec for
it.  But... unlike my unoffical Codec, their normal codecs will normally
also encrypt the ATRAC3 files for their devices (MS walkman, etc), to
decrypt, thus, again, making it difficult to move around.

> But even if one ignores that possible point what made it morally
> correct to use Sony's or Philip's solution but somehow immoral to do
> it for yourself? Did the artists see a nickel's worth of difference?
> Wasn't it just a benefit to the stockholders of the companies
> involved?

Probably not.  Look at how the special "audio" CD-Rs cost more, and the
money goes to pay for the digital CDs they assume you are pirating.  Then,
they still yell at people using napster.

> It has been noted that this may be wandering rather far
> from the central topics of this list, so I'll restrain myself in
> future messages.

I tend to agree, but personal dialog is still welcomed from those
interested.

 -- noah silva