Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

> > Honestly.. I don't get SCMS because if you have an MD deck with
> > digital out, it is decompressed anyhow, so I wouldn't want it.  I'd
> > rather go back to the CD and get the origional form.
>
> The CD has SCMS as well.

This is true (at least sort-of, it has "origional" flags, etc.), but even
Sony's equipment will let you get digital outs from any CD.  One
frustrating thing here is this:

I could:
a.) record my own music and mix it on my PC.
b.) Write a CD with the music in audio format.
c.) Copy the CD digitally to an MD.
d.) Want to copy from the MD (Say I lost the origional on the computer)
and
e.) I can't, because SCMS will assume the CD was a copy-righted origional
(and makes no provision for me owning the copyright), and marks the MD as
uncopyable.  (of course nevermind I wouldn't want the stream from the MD,
and most MD decks don't have digital out).

My point here, however was more that I wouldn't want the digital out from
an MD deck, because it is the decompressed audio, so I would be getting:

pcm --> atrac --> pcm.

I would rather have the origional PCM, or from an MD deck, the ATRAC
(which could make an equally good sounding copy MD).  But since all the
equipment (incl. MD decks) expects PCM in, that's what the MD decks that
/DO/ have digital out put out.  The encoding process is NOT symmetrical,
so you're much better off to go back to the CD.

> > dr. noah's CD rental shop and internet cafe.  (anyone here ever been
> > to "easy everything" ?)
>
> I don't think there's much of a future in the "internet cafe", though I'd
> love to start one with Sun Microsystems Sunrays.  Cheap and cool.

Interesting - Why not?  The one I go to in NY is enormously popular.  All
sorts of visiters and tourists stop in there and use the PCs.  I usually
do if I am there for a few days and want to check my email, etc.  Better
than lugging around a laptop if that's all you were going to use it for.

BTW I have a sun "javastation" (which is similar to the Ray).

> There's a place up the street that's a video rental - convenience store -
> internet cafe - laundromat.

The smaller internet cafes have to charge too much, and so are less
popular.  f.e. easyeverything charges $1 for like an hour.

> But this is getting totally off-topic.

true ;), but not like it hasn't happened before.

 -- noah silva