Re: [dvd-discuss] Congress fiddles while Caesar takes over..

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, John Galt wrote:

> The bill with the short title of Anti-Terrorism act of 2001 is HR 2896.

Now, but please see:
  http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/20010919_ata_bill.html

Which says something different in an earlier draft. I'm not willing to
spend a day wading through all the details, but at least in Sec 309, SS 25
at the above URL, it says that a 'federal terrorism offsense'' means a
violation of:
  1030(a)(1), (a)(4), (a)(5)(A), or (a)(7) (relating to protection of computers)

I've not looked up those references, so I would have to trust other
people who have looked them up.

> Go read it yourself and find the life imprisonment for hackers in it...  I

The difference between the draft (aka wish list) and what got passed under
the name 'Anti Terrorism Act' seems striking.

> would normally soften the blow by saying that I was late in pointing this
> out because of blah and whatever, but it got cosponsored about the time
> the post I'm replying to came out.  Does ANYBODY ever check these things
> out anymore?

Apparently not. :)

> >Now I wish I had a fiddle.

So I could crack it over my knee and shout out that congress can sometimes
not act stupid. :)

Scott

--
No DVD movie will ever enter the public domain, nor will any CD. The last CD
and the last DVD will have moldered away decades before they leave copyright.