Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

On Monday 24 September 2001 20:57, you wrote:

> Remember:
>
> We have an insatiable demand for entertainment. NOBODY expects that demand
> to reduce.  THEY are a large source of this entertainment.. There is a
> demand and a supply; *many* artistic works will be produced and enjoyed.
>
> Does anyone seriously think they would have refused to bring DVDs to
> market?  (Exactly like they have yet to bring VCR tapes to market). DVD's
> are cheaper to produce, sell for more, thus have higher profit margins.

What do you think DiVX was about?  The studios originally insisted that
without DiVX-type controls (and DiVX was their rock-bottom won't-even
limit) they wouldn't do DVD at all.  Circuit City certainly didn't dive into
that all on their own; they thought that that was what it was going to
take to get DVD rentals and player sales going (I worked with some of
the people who did the encryption silicon.)

Then, having sunk a wad into DivX, Circuit City got shafted by the
fact that all that talk was hollow: the very titles that would absolutely
never in a million years appear without airtight controls showed up
on DVD and couldn't be had for DiVX.  Surprise, Surprise.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+