Re: [dvd-discuss] The Checks and Ballances are in the mail

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should have been...TIME = Money (or more
precisely Money spent is proportional to time). The longer a trial drags
on the more it is going to cost and I don't mean just court time-Throw in
all the preparation it adds up. A speedy trial gets a quick resolution for
the least amount of time,money, and pain.

In the case of civil trials of corporations vs individuals (or much
smaller corporations), the legal system does not understand the
implications of the game that is played here (game as in game theory). The
side with the larger amount of money and resources doesn't have to win the
trial to achieve their end. They just have to keep the otherside tied up
in litigation. As long as Judges don't recognize this fact, they are
really being used as pawns.

WRT to the PDs. I don't believe that you get a PD even if you ask for one.
It's only if you can't afford an attorney. Most criminal trials do not
drag on as the McMartin or Simpson cases did but a few days or weeks. I've
only seen a few PDs in action during my Jury service. They were competent
but not dazzling.

Jim Bauer <jfbauer@home.com>
09/25/01 07:03 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss