Re: [dvd-discuss] Clear Channel plays it safe : Bill Gates can't force me to doa damn thing

"carey" <carey@tstonramp.com> wrote:

>Had to capitalize on this one Bryan..
>
>Someone Said:

That would be me who said it.

> >> You and I have very different views at to what constitutes "power" as
>  used
> >> in the famous quote.  Bill Gates has a lot more power than you or
> >> I do, it's sad that you can't see that.
>
>You Said :
>
> >I think you confuse power with success. Bill Gates >cannot force me to
>do a damn
> >thing.

It is actually much worse than what carey described.

Suppose that you have an employer that is a private enterprise. Bill could
buy your employer and then fire you.  You'd then be forced to
respond.  He could also do this to all the other members of your
family.  In the lucky event that you're self employed, he could provide
superior free services to every single client you ever had or will
get.  If you're a government employee it gets more difficult: he could
buy up all of the property surrounding your home (assuming you own -
you'd be in much worse shape if you rented), then cause property values
to plumett in a most spectacular way.  He could accidentally destroy
the road/well/sewer leading to your house (and some of his too), then leave
the local government tied up in litigation for years trying to
resolve the issue.  You'd be forced to respond.  He can do all of
these things without affecting his own lifestyle one little bit - he
could do it through holding companies and hired henchmen without even
giving a hint that he is targeting you. You'd never be able to take
him into court personally; you'd be laughed out of court if you
tried.  These are just a few things I could think up off the top
of my head, some of them he'd shoulder a financial responsibility for,
but then that's the source of his power. Be glad he doesn't care to ruin
your life, because he absolutely has that power.