Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

Your reply is better than the one I just banged out so I won't waste the
bandwidth sending it but there are a few additional points to be made

Bryan Taylor wrote
>Often the public service IS the use of the public resource.

According to This argument, the silliest sitcom broadcast becomes a public
SERVICE? So that argument doesn't hold although I know the network would
love that argument. What's good for the network is good for America?

>What public resource is consumed by radio or TV?

To communicate one requires POWER and BANDWIDTH both (Shannon). Power is
supplied by the power company and paid for by the broadcast service.
BANDWIDTH is licensed from the spectrum which is owned by the public.
THerefore, public resources are required by radio and TV. Why is it owned
by the public? you might as well argue that the public doesn't own the air
it breaths.

Jeme Brelin wrote

>It would only be a matter of time before wealthiest had all the rights to
broadcast.

Look at this in terms of a game. If I know that you can afford to bid
$100M and I can bid $200M, I bid $101M. I win. Now the next time, you say
that I have $99M and you can outbid me. But that's true only if I can't
get back a 2% return on my investment. Look at next time. The second time
I outbid you, I only need a 1% return to outbid you the third time. Change
the $200M by $2000M and the equations get even more imbalanced. You've
seen this before in a slightly different guise in the form of the
gambler's ruin.

Jeme A Brelin <jeme@brelin.net>
09/18/01 08:40 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss