Re: [dvd-discuss] ClearChannel Plays It Safe

I believe that in the olden days......they called it broadcasts in the
"public interests"  and they fulfilled their obligations by providing
airtime for opposing spokespersons, announcing public events, AND the
public could file notices with the FCC is they felt a station wasn't
providing it (not that the public did a lot of that and I doubt the FCC
cared ) to the amount legally really required.

As for censorship...censorship is not my throwing out political tracts
from the republicans and the democrats or not allowing you to put a sign
in MY yard (that would be conversion of my property for your use),
deleting email that I don't want to read or skipping over political ads in
the NY or LA Times. Censorship is stopping me from putting a sign in my
property, speaking out for or against a candidate in public, going from
door to door , calling over the telephone....by using the laws or physical
force or even social pressure  (anybody know much about the Amish culture
or what shunning is?)

As annoying as the ring at my doorbell or my telephone with the voice "hi
i'm calling for Candidate Stupid running for Mayor of Los Angeles..." is
to me, I can always say "Please leave" and that minor annoyance is solved
without requiring local ordinances be debated in the city council
chambers.

The PROBLEM here is that this act is not isolated to my yard, my street,
my city, or my state. With multinational corporations it is worldwide.
What is this act? Controlled and deliberate elimination of the means by
which an idea can spread. Now THAT"S censorship. But that's just a song?
Right? Look at the talking heads giggling during the news hour (showing my
age..in LA its news bi-hour). Censorship may be desired by officers of a
corporation for the benefit to their "bottomline" but as I've ranted
before (and will again  ;-) it fails the "clear and present danger" test.

Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com>
09/18/01 02:56 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss