Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans tointroduceDMCAsequel :The SSSCA

At 1:47 pm +0200 9/13/01, Lars Gaarden wrote:
>If the US starts to indiscriminately kill people, they will just
>produce more hate. Hate, that in turn will produce more Bin Ladens
>(or rather, more young suicidal people that leaders like Laden can
>use to perform these kinds of attacks).
>
>Terrorists will be unable to perform these attacks unless there are
>people out there that have a hatred so strong that they are willing
>to die for the cause. If you can remove that hate, you deny them
>the ammunition they need.

I don't wish to suggest I support indiscriminate bombing of innocent
people (I'll leave that to Bin Laden and his ilk) but I think it is
important to observe that the rest of your speculation is nonsense.
The era of hijacking as it has existed since the 60's is over. It
ended before this incident could conclude in the fourth jet. There
has been an implicit 'agreement' which has always been foolish but
widely accepted by all except Israel. It was that everyone was to
mind his own business, accept the horrific interlude, and in almost
all cases everyone would emerge unscathed. In the future people who
attempt to hijack a plane will be slaughtered by the other
passengers, pilots, and flight crew. The assumption now is that
everyone on board will be killed and the terrorists plan to use the
jet as an instrument of mass destruction. It has almost never been
the case that the terrorists truly had control of a jet in anything
like a military sense. But because of the implicit agreement people
were unable to act. But that was a fragile agreement and now that it
is gone it can never come back.

Never again will there be innocent bystanders, everyone on board will
assume the worst so there is nothing to be lost in using their
superior numbers to overwhelm and kill anyone reckless enough to
attempt a hijacking. The jet, like the fourth jet on September 11
might crash and kill everyone. But they were all as good as dead
already. I don't mean to diminish the heroism show by the passengers
of the fourth jet, only to point out it has always been a forbidden
but available option. An important characteristic of this horrific
event is that it is a tool that can only be used once. Bin Laden has
used it and it will never be available to terrorists again.