[dvd-discuss] [Fwd: [DMCA_discuss] Re: [free-sklyarov] FC: Sen. Hollingsplanstointroduce DMCA sequel: The SSSCA]

cross posting from DMCA_discuss

alfee cube wrote:

> well at least were awake this time!

we better be, 'cause I don't know how any of us in the technology
business are supposed to get our work done.  Debugging "hooks" is beta
releases would violate this law, development boards with test points
would violate this, debug BIOS with low-level breakpoints would violate
this.

Further (and I'm in the information appliance biz) we'll only be able to
sell (as finished products) what Disney et. al. thinks are good (for
them) devices -- and they think the inability to fast forward past
adverts is a good thing.

If technology companies and individual don't hang together, we shall
surely hang separately.

(a) devices can only be made that satisfy the MPAA, RIAA control freaks
(b) devices which satisfy these controls will not have "killer app"
appeal to the masses
(b.1) no new killer apps (in media processing) will occur for PC's -- as
the OS and apps must be constrained
(b.2) no new killer devices will occur (no MP3 players as MP3 are an
insecure format
(c) technology industry growth stagnates
(d) the post-dot-bomb-crash recovery never occurs
(e) 401k valuations tank, social security goes broke

(f) the Gen-X'rs are forced to put the aging Boomers out on the
ice-flow...  I guess there is always a bright side ;-)

.002