Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA sequel: The SSSCA

Arnold Reinhold wrote:

>Consumers can just say, "no thank you" to new products that limit
>their freedom, cost more and which they don't need. That could be the
>most powerful vote of all.

You are no doubt right, but there's TV, not to say electoral voting
for representative government, neither of which are as interactive
as promised by the one-wayers.

What is humbling is to recall how susceptible we are to being told
we prefer things the way most beneficial to preachers and promoters
and "leaders," vit Valenti's proclaiming what's best for MPAA is
best for the planet.

SSSCA is a classic example of this: propounding a crisis of information
security across the board -- national, economic and social security --
and arguing that private industry must be funded to do the job, and funding
the training a workforce for that industry under guise of providing low-
paid gov workers.

It is possible to image a rebellion of the young -- now the greatest
repository
of the skills needed for national information security -- a refusal to forgo
that leverage by falling for patriotic bullshit and a "secure economic
future."
And instead, say, as now being said across cyberland:

"Who the fuck do these Valentis and Hollings's think they are kidding. Why
would we work for these anti-open source, secrecy-obsessed neanderthals
who cannot give up believing in closed-chambers deal-making for corporate
fattening by government regulation and contracts, swollen secret intelligence
and military budgets, predatory lobbyists and public relations liars, craven
educational institutions, and untold luxuriously paid apologists for the
beasts."

A rebellion against the bribery offered in SSSCA.