Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA sequel: The SSSCA

On Sunday 09 September 2001 09:47, you wrote:
> The scariest part of this proposed bill is its definition of the term
> "Interactive Digital Device":
>
>   The term "interactive digital device" means "any machine, device,
>   product, software, or technology, whether or not included with or as
>   part of some other machine, device, product, software, or technology,
>   that is designed, marketed or used for the primary purpose of, and
>   that is capable of, storing, retrieving, processing, performing,
>   transmitting, receiving, or copying information in digital form."

a) This underscores the importance of First Amendment interpretations of
    software.
b) Purely as rhetorical leverage, we need to point out that this also applies
    to fax machines, office copiers, etc.
c) In aid of (b) we need to demonstrate that, for instance, a copy machine
    can be used to bypass "digital security."   For instance, by photocopying
    an e-book (or by taking a picture of a "protected" painting.)

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+