Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: _DVDCCA v. Bunner_ - free speech loses!

On 25 Aug 2003 at 13:19, Seth Finkelstein wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:19:34 -0400
From:           	Seth Finkelstein <sethf@sethf.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] Re: _DVDCCA v. Bunner_ - free speech loses!

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 01:13:14PM -0400, Seth Finkelstein wrote:
> > http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S102588.PDF
>
>  More info: [cites to various cases cut-out for readability]
>
> "Our decision today is quite limited. We merely hold that the
> preliminary injunction does not violate the free speech clauses of the
> United States and California Constitutions, assuming the trial court
> properly issued the injunction under California's trade secret law. On
> remand, the Court of Appeal should determine the validity of this
> assumption. Because there appears to be some confusion over the proper
> standard of review, we offer guidance below."

They punted again....throughout the decision the word "assumed" pops up often
enough that it's deliberate. Moreno pretty much called the majority on that in
his concurring decision. He stated he concurred with their decision but not
their reasons. He doesn't assume the facts of the lower courts and comes to a
different conclusion and so assumes nothing but concludes the court was wrong.

Moreno's decision is the most interesting one to read.