Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton

On 14 Jul 2003 at 18:21, John Zulauf wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:21:26 -0600
From:           	"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton

> Jeme A Brelin wrote:
>

> > Uh, software patents are allowed today and there is STILL very little
> > published source code.
>
> yes and no.  With the USSC finding that "algorithm" are facts of nature,
> I can't think of anyone outside of the OSS movement that feel safe with
> publishing "the crown jewels".

There seems to be some confusion here about source code vs algorithms.
To quote Niklaus Wirth "Algorithms + Data Structures = Software"
An algorithm is a set of instructions for doing something. The data structure
is what it is done to. The software is the set of algorithms and data
structures together that do "The Thing"

Do you think microsoft has some shazzmooo algorithms or even data structures?
Just look at VB sometime. Not much there.The crown jewels are not the
algorithms (which are encapsulated behind the interface) but the interfaces to
them AND the data structures at the interface. Given a decent API specification
do you think Microsoft would be around? The OSF would have OSF-Shutter in
months.

> > > I don't see any other options to encourage disclosure.
> >
> > So the ONLY option to encourage disclosure is a further violation of the
> > intrinsic freedom of information?  Is that really a reasonable trade in
> > your mind?
>
> Is this were I insert "information wants to be anthropomorphized" retort
> to the "information wants to be free" argument.  Information is one of
> the least carefully quantities throughout human history.  Perhaps this
> is because of the inherent "uncontainability" of information -- to me
> that doesn't equate to "intrinsic freedom." Think how personal privacy
> trades off against "freedom".  "Freedom of information" cannot be
> treated as absolute, but as an element traded against other in a policy
> sense.

That's the whole point about information...it is uncontainable. Many societies
have tried and have ended in bloody revolutions or warfare, or economic ruin.

The Freedom of INformation is not absolute. NOr does personal privace, trade
secrets, military secrets or whatever come into the picture. The question is
making up NEW secrets where none existed before for the purposes of protection
to create monopolies.  Information in a database is just information. If a
database wants to charge me for accessing it then they must control my access
to it either online or via some license agreement. Not throwing a shrinkwrap in
my face and saying "we license to you the information but you don't own this
because you bought it" You can't license information only control the access to
it. Rather than saying information want to be free rather it is uncontainable,
as you point out, would have been better phrasing.

> > > Having written software for many years, I cannot believe that anything
> > > short of patent, or patent like protections of key algorithms would
> > > incentivise publication of company source code.
> >
> > I worked for years for a fiber optic carrier as a software engineer.  Our
> > "incentive" for publishing source code was the thousands of lines of code we
> > received from others.  We were enriching a pool from which we draw.
>
> At the same time you do realize that your companies is (1) in the
> minority and (2) able function in this way as the software technologies
> weren't a competitive advantage of differentiator.

Some companies are reverting back to that model but M$ will never be one. It's
control.

> > I understand that the current social model is merely a model of economics and
> > scarcity and has NO mechanisms for regulating "externalities" and systems of
> > abundance, but that is a good reason for moving beyond the current model, not
> > for reducing the abundance of information into the artificial scarcity of
> > patent.
>
> Except the result of non-patenting is the "artificial scarcity" of trade
> secrets.  You get all the disadvantage of patents (others cannot use the
> algorithms) with none of the advantages

Not entirely. Others CAN figure them out and use them They just need to do the
REing or maybe knowing something can be done (half the battle there) they do it
one better. (The UTSA needs sharp curtailment. The Bunner case is a good
example. The judge should have said. SHOW me what he did was improper NOT that
he knows a trade secret and Then you you get your preliminary injunction" The
protection of IP is a vain exercise as practices today)

>-- disclosure, potential
> availability through licensing or cross licensing, eventual lapse into
> the PD.

Or if someone just publishes it there is goes. Actually, it already is in the
PD since anyone can discover it or RE it before the UTSA existed.

BTW as for Stratevarious violins....that was not a trade secret but
craftsmanship and a remarkable wood dried out by a fungus that reduces the
moisture content well below what it would have been had it gone through a more
regular curing period. I read that a professor REd that about 10 yrs ago ...a
"trade secret" discovered hundreds of years later. But do not tell me that the
owners of Amati's feel cheated.