Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton

John Zulauf wrote:

> Actually by allowing inventor to patent things that currently only exist
> as trade secrets I hope to:
>
> (1) Remove barriers to an "immediate" publication requirement for the
> source works of mechanical/automated (those without creative input)
> derived works
>
> (2) Get these trade secrets into public knowledge (though licensed for
> twenty years) and then into the PD
>
> Both of these are far better than a "well in 95 years we'll be able to
> inspect obsolete technology".

The application of the trade secret model is far better because it separates
private interest from exclusive rights.  "Publishing" does not simply mean
"readable" or "viewable."  It means making available to the public.

Seth Johnson

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.