Re: [dvd-discuss] Patent anything

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 06:48, Dean Sanchez wrote:
# If Netflix can get a patent on getting a monthly subscription fee, I should be able to get a patent on breathing.  Everyone hold you breath until you pay up;)
#
# http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030624/media_netflix_4.html
#
# There is such a huge disconnect between what a "reasonable" person sees as appropriate and to what the IP industry is staking claim , is it any wonder that the average citizen is beginning to feel nothing but contempt for copyright and patent and ignore the law?

This is  a *wonderful* test case.  What netflix has patented
is a "subscription library."  Subscription libraries have been
around longer than the United States; one of the first in
North America was founded by a gent named Benjamin
Franklin.

Tell me again about how something has to be new to
be patentable.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |