Re: [dvd-discuss] Sen. Hatch and AHRA

microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> On 18 Jun 2003 at 11:21, Glendon Gross wrote:
>
> Date sent:              Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:21:21 -0700
> From:                   Glendon Gross <gross@xinetd.com>
> To:                     dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
> Subject:                Re: [dvd-discuss] Sen. Hatch and AHRA
> Send reply to:          dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
>
> > The Behringer 9024 is 24-bit, so no degrading of the signal takes place
> > on the way to the P.C.   But the analogue soundcard samples at
> > 44.1 Khz.  (While this is typically thought of as CD-quality, the sound
> > has been preprocessed by whatever settings I have on the 9024.)
>
> 44.1? Or 48? 44.1 is the Nyquist rate. Normally one oversamples somewhat beyond
> that to relax requirements for the anti-aliasing filter and such...if not I
> wonder how aliasing fits into the DMCA and all that....I've got it...it's a
> derivative work! It's digital backward masking! The spectrum's been folded and
> played back with a phase reversal (?...I'd have to pull out Oppenheim and
> Schafer but one copy is at work and the other is in a box in my garage)

I'm certainly no expert.... but I do this as a hobbyist, and therefore I do think
that "home use" is the
correct term.  I have aspirations to do it professionally, but I don't know how to
avoid the liability that
could result from the media content providers misinterpreting my intentions.  This
causes me to think
twice about advertising my skills.

> > Lately I have been converting the files to 128k Ogg Vorbis format in
> > order to avoid the implications of .MP3 files, after which I delete the
> > .WAV files to save space. Nevertheless,  I'm concerned by the direction
> > the courts have taken in almost uniformly ruling against the consumer
> > and in favor of large corporations.  I'm starting to worry if the RIAA
> > might eventually try to target users of .ogg files, since the sound
> > quality is superior to .MP3 at
> > a given bitrate.   (There is more information on ogg vorbis files at
> > http://xiph.org.    The freedom of the Ogg Vorbis format from copyright
> > and
> > software patent concerns is probably a separate issue from the question
> > of which copying behavior is sanctioned as "fair use.")
>
> IANAL but the format should be irrelevant to copyright infringment...but you
> have a good point that this will probably be the next "battle" of the content
> media providers. We own the copyright. We prevent you from Circumventing (YOU
> Loathsome HACKER!) Now we control the format you have! You know what...the DMCA
> truly becomes "The Outer Limits"

Indeed.  The DMCA should have been featured in George Orwell's "1984."  It would
have
been implemented by the thought police in doublespeak.

> > I've been wanting to buy a video spigot in order to convert the pictures
> > from my analogue camcorder to DVD's.  Yet part of my reluctance in
> > taking
>
> Buy? Where? For home use?

There's a shop right across the street from me (in Southern California, U.S.A.)
called "driveguys.com".   If you look at their website, you will see that they
even make their used inventory available online.  I had hoped to find an
inexpensive
card, but I think I like the idea of using a "WinTV" card that has been suggested.

A few weeks ago, they had some PCI video spigots for only $60.  I should have
bought
one then, but I chose to wait in order to research the matter more.  I want a card
that
will work with the NetBSD operating system, which is my audio recording and
CD-Production platform.

Thanks for your comments,

Glendon Gross