RE: [dvd-discuss] SCC, Lexmark, and copyright versusreverse-engineering

On 1 Apr 2003 at 11:00, Dean Sanchez wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] SCC, Lexmark, and copyright versusreverse-engineering
Date sent:      	Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:00:09 -0500
From:           	"Dean Sanchez" <DSANCHEZ@fcci-group.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

> I would argue that a government-granted monopoly (copyright) is not the
> capitalist system at work.

Yes but it is also the Devil's bargain that was seemingly better understood 200
yrs ago than by today's generations of so called legal scholars.

> I would be inclined to call a trade secret a
> capitalist competitive advantage because it doesn't require government
> intervention to maintain the monopoly.

But also faces the threat of someone REing it and doing it better (e.g., the PC
market. IBM is outta that one pretty much). Congress hasn't figured out that
protection is something that should be doled out only when there is a
compelling state interest....other than that...don't do it.