Re: [dvd-discuss] Deadline extended: Now 2/*20* 5pm EST for DMCA replycomments

Does this mean that the LOC considers the snowfall and act of God but doesn't want to consider what it might mean that it has happened so close to their deadline?

;-)

Use the opportunity. In particular the EFF submittal has 4 categories. THe first is copy protected CDs. I think one area that could use some support in their comment is the impact of copy protection upon the manufacturing and compatibility of equipment.

Another area of the LOC's directive that I don't see getting addressed in the comments is the availability of works in alternative media. COngress directed the LOC to consider the availability of works in other media as part of the criteria for judging infringment. The argument is the one made in Eldred and by others that as long as the work is available in SOME other media, then Fair Use can always be gotten by forcing you to purchase the media where you can use it fairly (*&%*$@!!!! I hate this mentality - "Oh just go buy another one"). I just don't see how one can have fair use of one is required to purchase something else.

For text oriented works, this is not an issue since practically everything is available in print form or online in printable form (except for ebooks but hey...."eBooks are for reading Not Fair Use." or "Fair Use. No eBook. Buy pBook")
Are all movies available in DVD and VHS formats? Beta or Laser disk?
Few things are available in cassette, 8 track, or LP. MOstly in CD.

Seth Finkelstein <sethf@sethf.com>

02/19/2003 11:21 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss