RE: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights

>Interesting.  The summary says outright that the courts
>do not recognize "moral rights" per se but should nonetheless
>attempt to accomodate them if they can find justification
>to do so in the actual legalities (in this case, the _legal_
>violation was a breach of contract).

Scary.  The DMCA (protecting as it does Macrovision and CSS**)
is just that kind of pretext the court could use to find
against the CleanFlix folks. Why should our courts attempt
to accomodate that which the framers so clearly and
specifically rejection in the creation of the US copy-
right system.

How this impacts "CleanPlayer" is unknown.  I don't
remember seeing anything in the DVD-CCA about prevent
cleanware (or dirtyware***) overlay functionality

.002

** according to current precedent (which I still think
is mistaken.

*** the cutting of all the useless plot noneless from
a movie for which the plot detracts for certain viewers

additionally one could imagine "highlightware" that
would jump only to the chase scenes, cool CG animation
or whatever the viewer wanted to focus on.  Overlays
that just shows the Seinfeld stand-up material, or
just the Cliff Claven (sp?) little known non-facts or
every time Sculley pouts in an entire X-files season,
would be examples of "highlightware".  Though the
latter probably say WAY to much about me and X-Files.