Re: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 12:51  PM, Richard Hartman wrote:
> [...]

The Monty Python case demonstrated that the Lanham Act was inapplicable
to copyright law, and could not be used to substitute from the two
moral rights (attribution and integrity). Since then, however,
trademark law has been broadened considerably-- the Trademark Dilution
Act of 1995 does not  require evidence of market confusion for there to
be a finding of infringement. I'm not so sure the Monty Python
precedent would stand.

Perhaps a dsiclaimer to the effect of.
"This film has been edited by a third party for scenes of nudity,
blasphemy, etc..
  Neither the original film makers, nor the movie studio have endorsed
this reedit."

would do much to clear up Lanham type dilution claims, but under the
current regime, who knows?

pfaffenBlog covers this point
http://pfaff.tcc.virginia.edu/home/MT/archives/000009.html
> _ movie which happens to be overlayed on the
> original.  Ok, who would want a movie that is essentially
> 2 hours of blank and a few minutes of a corset somewhere
> in the middle?  Well ... nobody said that art had to be
> comprehensible.

I assume you are talking of "Titanic"--I've never seen the film. Where
does the "footage of the corset" come from. If it comes from another
part of Titanic, the studios could advance a claim of infringement... (
a difficult case, but nevertheless, fair use is an affirmative
defense...)
Now a film of Kate Winslet nude (to be inserted in the DirtyFlicks
version) might have some commercial value outside the DirtyFlicks
system...