Re: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights

On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 08:59  AM, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:

> It's not just people with strong religious views who are potential
> buyers for cleaned up films. Parents are a big market. Hollywood plays
> a really sick game with ratings.  Many, if not most, PG-13 films are
> filled with sexual content and crude humor, while R movies have
> serious themes along with an occasional f-word  and 542 milliseconds
> of exposed nipple or crotch. Sans the gratuitous stuff thrown in to
> get the magic rating, many R movies are more wholesome for teens and
> even preteens than most PG-13 movies.
>
> Consider, for examples, "Topsy Turvey" a film about Gilbert and
> Sullivan with a gratuitous crotch shot,

The BBFC gave Topsy-Turvy, uncut, a '12' rating (and Gosford Park a
'15', for that matter). Mike Leigh is a British director, and, I
believe the film was originally released in Britain. It sort of belies
the argument that such scenes were included solely to drive up the
rating. Rather, the film was imported, and the MPAA, feeling prudish,
gave it an 'R'.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/ClassifiedWorks/
53430EA5E06215B6802567C900301D49?OpenDocument

Jeremy