Re: [dvd-discuss] banned software on sale in compusa

At 12:30 PM 12/20/2002 -0500, Jeremy Erwin wrote:

>On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 06:53  PM, James S. Tyre wrote:
>
>>At 06:45 PM 12/19/2002 -0500, Jeremy Erwin wrote:
>>>While shopping for christmas, gifts at compUSA , i came across copy of
>>>dvd-copy-x (or a similar sounding name). It promises the user the
>>>ability to "backup" dvd-video to dvd-ram/cdr.
>>

>>http://321studios.com/
>>
>>They've had a declaratory relief DMCA lawsuit pending against the studios
>>for awhile, no decisions yet, > http://321studios.com/lawsuit.htm
>>
>The studios have sued...
>
>http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000237.html

Yep.  This is a twofer, also responding to JZ's post, not long before yours.

Part of the problem here is less than adequate press coverage, not fully
explaining some confusing things  (I'm sure you *all* remember my harping
on that with the ElcomSoft jury instruction thing.  ;-)

For a long time, the only relevant product 321 offered was DVD Copy Plus,
which copied only to CD-R(w), and which copied only the basic movie plus
sound, not all the extras that are claimed to further enhance the DVD
experience.  (Personally, I've never watched, let alone copied, a DVD.) It
was at that time when 321 filed its action, and the studios made their
motion to dismiss on the basis of no real controversy.

But *much* more recently, 321 began offering DVD X Copy, which does copy to
DVD-R(W), and does copy (I think) the extra stuff.  It was after that when
the studios decided to countersue, being more afraid (apparently) of DVD X
Copy than of DVD Copy Plus.

So, for JZ, it appears (again, I have no special knowledge) that the
studios changed horses in mid stream only after 321 changed products mid
case.  If that is correct then, whatever I may think of the studios or
DMCA, it's hard to fault the studios for acting differently to the newer
product than the older.

James S. Tyre                               mailto:jstyre@jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net